Woman dies from gunshot wound to head

GARNER Eyewitness News learned one of the victims in the shooting has died.

A family friend of June Carlyle told Eyewitness news Carlyle died from her injuries at WakeMed.

She was shot in the head, according to the friend.

The other victim, Manuel Valdez, was rushed into surgery for a gunshot wound to the stomach. The family friend said he shot himself and is going to survive. He is currently in fair condition.

Deputies blocked off Creech Road at the intersection with Jewell Street while they investigated.

Click here for map

As investigators picked up evidence, including a handgun, next to Brandi Carlyle's Creech Rd. home, she sat across the street.

The 20-year-old observed from a wheelchair with her broken leg.

She told Eyewitness News she heard gunshots around 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.

"I woke up to three gunshots," she said. "And then, I'm on medicine for my foot, so I thought maybe it was just the TV. And I dozed back off and then I heard the police this morning. So I came out and they're telling me that somebody got shot."

Brandi Carylye said police told her Valdez shot himself.

Valdez works for her mother's cleaning company and the crew gathers next to the Carlyle home each morning around 7 a.m.

According to Brandi Carlyle, her mom was dating Valdez, but they broke up about two months ago.

"They've been friends, yeah," Brandi Carlyle said. " There was nothing, no bad relationship between them two."

At that time, she did not know who had been shot. Brandi Carlyle told Eyewitness News she had not seen her mother this morning before investigators made her leave the house.

"I'm pretty sure my mom's alright," she said. "She's probably at the hospital checking on everybody."

Just moments after the interview, friends approached the woman and told her that the Wake County Sheriff's Deputies said her mother was one of the victims.

Creech Elementary School, which is located near the shooting scene, was under a "Code Yellow," meaning the exterior doors were locked, but classes were going on as normal.

Authorities say the lockdown was a part of procedure since a shooting occured near the school.

The lockdown was lifted just before 9 a.m. when it was determined there was no threat to the school.

Copyright © 2023 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.