Mayor's home catches fire

RALEIGH The Mayor had just sat down to dinner when the fire started.

"When we were eating dinner, we had a couple of power surges, which was odd. The dogs started barking, so I went into the television room and I could see the smoke and flames coming from the storage room so I realized it was something I couldn't handle. So I called 911, and they were there in a couple of minutes and everything's okay," he explained.

Everyone got out of the home safely.

The fire started in a storage closet. Mayor Meeker said he's lived in the house for 34 years and never had a problem before.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Most Popular
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Copyright © 2020 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.