We apparently are so unmanly that we don't even rate a mention on "America's Manliest Cities" list.
Charlotte, however, is number one.
Snack maker Combos - known for its cutting edge research into the science of combining pretzels with pizza filling - comes up with the annual list. It judges cities based in the following criteria:
- Sports - Cities get points for the number of pro teams in town and extra points for nearby NASCAR tracks.
- Manly Lifestyle - Extra points for the number pickups and motorcycles registered in the city.
- Concentration of Manly Retail Stores - includes BBQ and chicken wing restaurants, steak houses, sports bars, Harley Davidson dealerships and home improvement stores.
- Manly Magazine Subscriptions - including: Sports Illustrated, Car & Driver, Maxim, Playboy, Men’s Health, Popular Mechanics, Boating, etc.
- Manly Occupations - Construction workers, police officers, firefighters, and EMT personnel.
- Salty Snack Sales - We have no idea what's especially manly about swallowing salt laden carbs, but Combos is a product in this business category.
Click here to read the "report"
Combos also says cities lost points for "an overabundance of emasculating criteria – factors that reduced a city's manliness rating." That includes the "number of home furnishing and décor stores, cafés/coffee shops, sushi restaurants and 'modern' male apparel stores."
No word if it also includes superior universities, state of the art research hospitals, or earning a six-figure salary working in the Research Triangle.
So Trianglites, your mission is clear. If we're ever to compete with Charlotte, we have to buy more pickups, display more facial hair, and eat more chicken wings. You can do it!
Classifieds | Report A Typo |
Send Tip |
Get Alerts | Most Popular
Follow @abc11 on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook