According to the report, the outbreak was not a result of negligent food handling by Bullock's employees. "The likely source of the bacteria was identified to be from a commercially manufactured egg white food product, used to make meringue, which was delivered to the establishment," the report stated.
The food that contained salmonella was prepared at the restaurant between April 20 and April 24. Health officials say 65 customers, who ate at Bullock's during that time, were diagnosed with symptoms relating to the illness. Only seven were treated at a hospital.
The health department's investigation concluded that the outbreak was associated with meringue that is used on different desserts.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention identified similar outbreaks at locations throughout the country that used the egg white product produced by the same restaurant supplier. However, the health department said its findings were not definitive.
As a precaution, Bullock's disposed of all food items that may have been affected. No additional illnesses associated with April's outbreak have been reported.
Known as a Durham landmark, Bullock's Bar-B-Que restaurant is a family owned business that was established in 1952.
Send pictures | Classifieds | Report A Typo |
Send Tip |
Most Popular | Follow abc11 on Twitter | abc11 on Facebook