Suspect in Pine Level murder: 'I had to shoot him'


Investigators say 23-year-old Stefan Gudac shot Devin Barber around 1:30 a.m. Saturday at 417 E. Pine Street following an argument.

Pine Level Police Chief Keith Sparks said the house is the home of Town Commissioner Anthony Gudac and Stefan is his son.

Sparks said about eight people had gathered at the Gudac home when a fight - reportedly over a girl - broke out and Barber was shot.

Officers arrived and found Barber unconscious and not breathing. Police started CPR until paramedics arrived and transported him to the hospital. Barber was pronounced dead a short time after arriving at Johnston Medical Center in Smithfield.

In a 911 call released Monday, a man who identifies himself as the shooter tells an operator that "I told him to leave a few times. I put my hands on him. He wouldn't leave, so I had to shoot him."

"I need you to get here as quick as possible," the man says.

The caller says he shot Barber "several times."

Sparks said Stefan Gudac was arrested at the scene and the alleged murder weapon was also recovered.

In court Monday, a judge ordered Gudac held without bond. He asked for a court appointed attorney.

His next court appearance is scheduled for December 9.

Barber was an Eagle Scout and was living at an address on White Oak Drive in Smithfield.

Barber's father Darrell spoke with ABC11 Monday about his son.

"He's just a great kid. I loved him dearly," he said.

Darrell Barber said he's struggling to understand the death of his 20-year-old son considering he and Grudac had been friends for years.

"They were real good friends. They were real good friends. It's just shocked everybody," he said. "Everybody's just heartbroken. I mean, it's just awful. It's just the worst thing in the world."

With information from Mickey Lamm/WTSB Radio

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Most Popular
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Copyright © 2022 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.