Second-grader shot and killed


Raleigh police say the shooting happened Monday around 5:30 p.m. at a home on Havenwood Court.

The 8-year-old, who authorities identified Wednesday as TJ Henry, was taken to WakeMed for treatment where he died Tuesday.

Henry's grandfather, Daniel Henry, spoke to ABC11 Eyewitness news about the death of his grandson.

"I miss him," Daniel said. "I miss him a whole lot and like I said, if it weren't for my spiritual guidance [and] my pastor, I'd have been done lost it."

Daniel has been taking his grandson's death especially hard. It was Daniel's pellet gun that was involved in the child's death. Daniel uses it for squirrel hunting.

"I saw him coming down the steps, and I had the gun propped and I know that he likes guns," Daniel said. The grandfather then reached for the gun to put the safety on. That's when it went off, hitting TJ in the head.

TJ's brother, Tarae Henry, said he didn't know his brother was hit.

"I didn't realize that he was hit, so I started looking around at the window and the door to find out where it went," Tarae said. "All of a sudden, I look and he had dove in the floor. I said, 'TJ, get up off the floor, stop playing.' I turned away for a second and turned back and I seen blood coming out of his mouth and nose."

Tarae was a wreck. "I went crazy, and I was about to kill myself," he said.

TJ's mother and family want everyone to know what a wonderful child he was.

"He was fun, joyful and quiet and talented," Tarae said. "He can draw real good. He can draw anything."

"He was so talented and so loving and caring, like I told everybody, it wasn't nothing for me to call him and tell him to go get me a glass of water," TJ's grandfather recalled. "He would just jump up and go."

Police said there was no sign of foul play and the shooting was ruled accidental.

No charges will be filed.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Copyright © 2023 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.