Jaxon Garza died on February 24th. His mother, Brittany Garza, tells Eyewitness News that she found her four month old son turned over in a bouncy seat and he was unresponsive. Garza said she called 911, began CPR but he was declared dead at Womack Army Medical Center.
Army CID confirms an initial autopsy has been completed and is being reviewed by medical authorities. They’re also awaiting further autopsy results from the medical examiner.
In the meantime, Eyewitness News has learned that Fort Bragg is conducting environmental tests on the home where Jaxon died. Since 2007, there have been 11 other infant deaths on post. According to an autopsy for the 11th baby, Scout Miska, may have suffocated while co-sleeping with one of her parents on a couch.
Ten other babies have been the focus of an on-going investigation into whether any environmental factors in on-post housing contributed to the deaths. Just last month the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced the its findings from a detailed study of two of the homes. One home had domestic drywall which initially tested positive for sulfur off-gassing, a common problem related to imported Chinese Drywall. The other home is where three infants from three different families had died. The CPSC declared the drywall did not play a role in the deaths. It is awaiting further testing on pesticides that were found on the “higher end of normal,” according to the federal agency.
Other families have complained their new or recently renovated houses on-post, made them sick with headaches and skin rashes. Some of the families who experienced an infant death say they suffered the same symptoms.
When they moved to different homes on post and some off post, they tell Eyewitness News, their symptoms went away.
Classifieds | Report A Typo |
Send Tip |
Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook