The truck was nearing the end of a collection run when something in its load apparently caught fire.
The truck began smoking and the driver and his helper reported feeling ill.
Officials took the truck to an area away from homes to dump it and see what possible chemicals might have caused the incident.
Waste Industries said it appears some kind of chemical reaction in the trash occured causing vapors. It's not clear what chemicals were involved.
Waste Industries said the truck driver is okay. His helper was taken to WakeMed to be checked out. He's expected to be okay too.