When they arrived, they found flames running up the side of the house.
"By the time I saw the fire and called 911, it had come across the yard and basically had the whole house on fire," said John Pearsall, the home's owner. "I hoped to get a couple things out of the house, but wasn't able to do that," he said.
The roof, second floor, and rear of the home suffered the worst damage. After firefighters got it under control, what was left behind smoldered for hours. Clouds of smoke billowed from the home, and could be seen for miles.
"I assume it's the wind, the dry heat, that caused it to spread to the home," said Chief Ron Early of the Wake Forest Fire Department.
It's unclear exactly how the fire started. People who watched the fire unfold say they are relieved no one was hurt.