The bacteria was discovered during sampling on Oct. 5 and 7, according to town officials.
The Cumberland County Public Health Department issued a boil water notice for the town. Health officials said the bacteria can make you sick, and are a particular concern for people with weakened immune systems.
Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes, and food preparation until further notice. Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms in the water.
It wasn't immediately clear where the contamination discovered Wednesday and Friday came from.
Officials said they hoped to have the problem resolved in 72 hours, but restaurants would be closed until testing came back clear.