The plan was supposed to be posted online Thursday afternoon, but parents who attempted to access the website as late as 9 p.m. were still in the dark. When they logged on, the site was offline with a message telling parents to try again later.
School officials said the site went live after 6 p.m., but they were forced to shut down and reset the site after 30 minutes because the log-in info wouldn't connect to the school assignment data.
Officials also said 74 percent of participants received their first choice school. But several of thsoe unhappy families took to protesting earlier this week. Parents who were waitlisted or left without a choice at all have taken their concerns to a recent board meeting.
The controversy has caused those searching for a new home to turn to communities other than Wake County.
"We're seeing a lot of people go to Chapel Hill," realtor Lynn Stellings said."I'm learning a lot about the Chapel Hill schools, unfortunately."
Stellings said in the past month alone, at least three of her clients changed their minds about moving to Wake County due to fear that missing registration deadlines would impact their children.
"There are no answers for parents now asking well, 'Where will my children go to school? What are my options?' We can't tell them," Stellings said. "As one parent told me, it should not be this confusing to try to register your child for school."
School officials were able to solve the computer glitch around 10 p.m. Thursday. Parents are now able to access the website.