Alleged victim of man charged with rape speaks


It is ABC 11 Eyewitness News policy to not identify victims of sexual violence, and the woman chose to only be identified as "Jane" during the interview.

"Jane" said she wants women, especially those living in Raleigh, to be more wary of their surroundings and not to be lulled into a false sense of security.

Court records show that the assault occurred on the North Carolina State University campus March 26. "Jane" said she was headed to work at about 5:30 a.m. when Saieed allegedly followed her out of a tunnel and grabbed her by the shoulders.

"I knew there was an individual coming up, and it seemed like his steps were quicker.  And all of a sudden there was a man grabbing me.  That was the way it happened.  It scared the daylights out of me.  And so we started struggling."

She pulled away, screamed, and then headed for an emergency phone.

"I'm not the wimpiest person in the world and luckily I got loose from him," she said. "I said, 'You let go of me, and don't you ever grab me again, and just get away from me. You don't go around grabbing women.' And he got the oddest look on his face. He started laughing at me."

"Jane" said she feels partly responsible for not getting the word out to students to be more cautious.

"I didn't do enough to try and warn everybody," she said.

Saieed was charged Monday in an incident that occurred June 18 near NC State and the Cameron Village shopping center.

Police said it happened shortly before 2:30 a.m. when a 22-year-old woman told officials that she was nearly raped.

The woman said she was riding her bike westbound on Stafford Avenue near Chamberlain Street when she noticed a small, dark-colored SUV behind her as she traveled on Stafford. The vehicle struck her bicycle's rear tire just before she reached Chamberlain.

Police said the suspect got out of the SUV and approached the victim, who was not injured. After a brief conversation, the suspect offered to take the woman to her home.

Instead of taking the woman home, however, police said the suspect drove to her a short distance to Horse Track Alley where the suspect indicated that he intended to rape her.

She managed to escape and hide while the suspect fled.

Saieed was released on a $1,500 bond in "Jane's" incident. His attorney asked for a delay Tuesday in that case, so that the attempted rape incident could be settled first. For that, Saieed is back in custody on a $200,000 bond.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Copyright © 2023 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.