Wayne County Sheriff Carey A. Winders said Friday the old Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared" would come in handy.
"All of us need a plan, be prepared for the unexpected, and listen to our Fight and Flight instinctive responses to rapidly evolving circumstances. These tips may just save your life and those of your loved ones," said Sheriff Winders.
Winders has a link to the Homeland Security's Pocket Guide to Active Shooter situations on his website.
It includes tips like:
- Be aware of your environment and any possible dangers.
- Take note of the two nearest exits in any facility you visit.
- If you are in an office, stay there and secure the door.
- If you are in a hallway, get into a room and secure the door.
- As a last resort, attempt to take the active shooter down. When the shooter is at close range and you cannot flee, your chance of survival is much greater if you try to incapacitate him/her.
- Call 911 when it is safe to do so.