Wake County prosecutor Katie Carter said the three 15-year-old boys charged with murder should be kept in custody. A 13-year-old boy also charged with murder in the case was released earlier this week after giving a statement to investigators. Another 15 year old is charged as an accessory.
She said the teens charged with murder beat 37-year-old Regynald Jose Brown and used a rock to crush his skull.
Carter said the teens also robbed a 67-year-old homeless man on September 1 and took part in the gang rapes of two girls in June and November.
The rapes were just reported to authorities on December 7.
Carter said the teens came back to the area where they allegedly killed Brown days - or weeks - later to dispose of the body. They stuffed it in a trash can and attempted to bury it near the Capital Area Greenway along Walnut Creek - between Wilmington Street and Hammond Road near Interstate 40.
Carter said all the alleged attacks were a way for the teens to "earn their stars" with "Big Money Swag," a subset of the "Cutthroats" gang.
Carter told the judge she intends to bind all the cases against the teens into one and present them at a probable cause hearing in February in the hope they can be bound over to adult court.
State law bars prosecutors from seeking the death penalty in murder cases where the defendants are younger than 18.