During this period, Fort Bragg's only water supply will be an emergency 12-inch connection near East Fort Bragg.
The break has led to an emergency water conservation order. To ensure no loss of water supply, residents and those working on base are urged to adhere to the following guidelines:
- There shall be no watering of any lawn, grass, shrubbery, trees, or flowers with potable or treated water using an automated irrigation or sprinkler system or hose end sprinkling device. Watering is permitted only by hand held hose with a spring-loaded nozzle, by container, or by installed drip type irrigation.
- There shall be no washing of automobiles, trucks, trailers, boats, airplanes, or any other type of mobile equipment except as authorized at the Central Vehicle Wash Facility. Organizations that use equipment that cannot be washed at the Central Vehicle Wash Facility and require washing for mission critical purposes, may obtain written permission from Old North Utility Services, Inc. to utilize water for such purposes as long as the amount of water being used is minimized.
- Outside areas such as streets, driveways, service station aprons, parking lots, office/admin buildings, exteriors of existing or newly construction facilities, sidewalks, or patios shall not be washed.
- There shall be no filling of any pond, ornamental fountain, pool, or other structure.
- Restaurants and other food serving establishments shall serve water only at the patron's request.
- There shall be no use of water from hydrants for purposes other than fire suppression, public emergency, or use by ONUS to maintain water quality. Alternative water sources should be utilized for non-potable uses.
- Potable or treated water shall not be used for dust control or compaction. Alternative water sources should be utilized.
- The owner or occupant of any building that receives water from the ONUS Water System and also uses a well for irrigation must post a sign giving the public notice of the use of the private well. The owner or occupant will only utilize their private well during the schedule for water outlined above.
- There shall be no filling of newly constructed swimming pools or wading pools or refilling of those which have been drained and no supplementing of existing swimming or wading pools. Organizations that require the use of pools for training and are mission critical shall be permitted to use water for purposes as long as the amount of water being used is minimized.
- All residential, industrial, manufacturing, and commercial users (to include nursery operations) shall reduce consumption to any degree feasible with a goal of reduction of at least 40%. It is the primary responsibility of each user to meet its mandated water use reduction in whatever manner possible, including limitation of operating hours, or days if necessary.