READ MORE: TRIANGLE EXPERTS WARN OF BRAIN-EATING AMOEBA IN WATER
The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told health officials that the June 19 death of Lauren Seitz, 18, who had just visited North Carolina is suspected to be from an amoeba that is found in warm lakes during the summer.
Picture from Facebook of 18yo girl from Ohio who died from amebic infection after visiting Whitewater center. pic.twitter.com/NlDrbuL2xY— Liz Foster (@lizfosterWSOC9) June 22, 2016
The suspected cause of death was attributed to Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis, an infection caused by Naegleria fowleri, a one-celled organism that does not cause illness if swallowed, but can be fatal if forced up the nose
Seitz's only known underwater exposure was believed to be when she rode in a raft with her church group that overturned at the Whitewater Center. Her funeral will be held Saturday, a church member said.
Naegleria fowleri infections are quite rare. According to the CDC, fewer than 10 cases have been reported annually in the United States during the last 53 years. This amoeba can cause severe illness up to nine days after exposure.
RELATED: Obituary for Lauren Seitz
A person cannot be infected with Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water and the amoeba is not found in salt water.
The Mecklenburg County Health Department, CDC, Ohio Department of Public Health, Franklin County (Ohio) Public Health Department, the U.S. National Whitewater Center and the North Carolina Division of Public Health are collaborating with further investigation.
In warmer areas where this infection has been more common, recommended precautions include:
- Limit the amount of water going up your nose. Hold your nose shut, use nose clips, or keep your head above water when taking part in warm freshwater-related activities.
- Avoid water-related activities in warm fresh water during periods of high water temperature and low water levels.
- Avoid digging in, or stirring up, the sediment while taking part in water-related activities in shallow, warm fresh water areas.
Click here for more information about Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis