Unattended cigarette ignites fire at Red Roof Inn

WTVD logo
Thursday, February 4, 2016
Fire truck

FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- The Fayetteville Fire Department responded to the Red Roof Inn on Bordeaux Park Drive Thursday morning for a fire alarm call.

Cleaning crews saw black smoke coming from a room after the fire alarm was activated.

According to Battalion Chief Richard Whiteside, fire crews arrived shortly after 11:00 a.m. to find around twelve guests and workers evacuating the four-story hotel. When firefighters entered the hotel, they found smoke throughout the third floor hallway.

Investigators determined a hotel guest checked out, but left an unattended cigarette behind.

Whiteside said the sprinkler system contained the fire to one room. No injuries were reported.

The Fayetteville Fire and Emergency Management Department was assisted by the Cumberland Road Fire Department.

Report a Typo