House fire leaves 1 dead in Sampson County

NEWTON GROVE, N.C. (WTVD) -- Officials say a space heater may be to blame for sparking a deadly house fire in Sampson County.

It happened around 1 a.m. Saturday in the 600 block of Juniper Road in Newton Grove.

According to ABC11 crew on the scene, the house was fully involved when firefighters arrived.

The Sampson County Sheriff's Office said after the fire was extinguished, firefighters discovered a body in the remains.

Family members told ABC11 the victim was Herman Best Jr., who lived alone at the home.

Herman Best Jr.

Photo Courtesy: Victim's Family



It took firefighters from five departments to put out the flames.

Report a Typo






Related topics:
newton grovehouse fire
Copyright © 2022 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.