Estranged husband of Hope Mills missing woman accused of assaulting her boyfriend

CUMBERLAND COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- A man is facing attempted murder charges after Cumberland County deputies say he cut another man in the neck and face Tuesday.

Anthony Goins was arrested and is facing charges including attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury with the intent to kill.

According to the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office, Goins is the estranged husband of Tabitha Ann Goins, who went missing on November 25.

The Goins family told investigators that Dennis Leseane is Goins' boyfriend and was the last person to see her before she disappeared.

RELATED: 'Somebody knows and they're not saying:' Hope Mills family continues desperate search for mother of 4

Deputies responded to an assault call along the 2600 block of Sandhill Road. When they arrived, they found Dennis Leseane with cuts on his face and neck. He was taken to the hospital where he underwent surgery to repair the cuts.

Leseane told deputies he was driving on Highway 87 south when he saw Goins. Leseane pulled over and asked Goins, "You looking for me? I think we need to talk."

After the two rode around and talked, Leaseane pulled into a BP Station at Sandhill Road and Highway 87 when he said Goins pulled out a box cutter and began cutting him.
Leseane said after the cutting, Goins jumped out of the car and ran away.

Newly-released surveillance video given to ABC11 by the Gray's Creek Fire Department shows the moments Goins fled the vehicle that Lesesane was driving.

Around 2 a.m. Tuesday morning, Lesesane crashed a vehicle into the department's building.

Fire Chief Joe Marsh said his crew on the scene heard the noise and went to see what happened.

"He gets out of the car and he's, I mean he is cut, bleeding severely," Marsh said.

Those firefighters on scene then proceeded to provide Lesesane with aid, as they tried to get the life-threatening bleeding from two massive gashes on his face and one on his neck under control.

Lesesan was then rushed to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center to undergo surgery to repair the lacerations. He was later released from the hospital, according to the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office.

According to the Cumberland County Register of Deeds, Anthony Goins and Tabitha Goins got married back in 2010.

Goins was arrested on Swallowtail Court in Fayetteville. He is being held on a $200,000 secured bond.
Copyright © 2020 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.