Large fire at Johnston County business caused by cigarette, owner says

EMBED </>More Videos

A large fire at a Johnston County business was caused by a cigarette, the owner told ABC11 on Friday.

Winpy Byrd, how owns Byrd's Wholesale, Inc., said it was actually his cigarette that caused it.

"I dropped it and the wind picked it up and nobody could see it. We've got pictures where it smothered out and then flames," he said.



The fire broke out Thursday around 7:30 p.m.

Captain Bentley Powell with the Smithfield Fire Department said no one was at the warehouse at the time of the fire.

EMBED More News Videos

Johnston County officials are on the scene of a large fire at Byrd's Wholesale, Inc.



He also mentioned the building contained wood products and a mill inside where lumber was sawed.

The owner said he's been at that property since 1969.

Crews were on scene throughout the night to monitor hotspots.

Firefighters said the wind was working against them and reigniting the hotspots.

Related Topics:
firebusinessJohnston County
(Copyright ©2018 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)