Kyron Hinton, the Raleigh man who was beaten by officers during arrest in 2018, dies of an overdose, advocate says

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- Kyron Hinton, the Raleigh man who was at the center of an excessive force investigation - where two state troopers and a Wake County Sheriff's deputy were charged - has died of a drug overdose, according to an advocate of Hinton.

The advocate stated that Hinton died around 8:30 p.m. Saturday evening.

Raleigh police said officers responded to a Code Blue right before 7 p.m. and EMS performed CPR on Hinton.

Authorities said Hinton was taken to WakeMed and was declared deceased.

Police said the cause of death has not yet been determined, but an advocate for Hinton told ABC11 he overdosed.

Stay on top of breaking news stories with the ABC11 News App

Hinton was beaten by law enforcement officers on April 3 of 2018. Body and dash cam video released showed the confrontation between officers and Hinton.

RELATED: Body cam video released showing confrontation between law enforcement and Raleigh man

EMBED More News Videos

Dash and body cam videos released in Kyron Hinton case (1 of 10)

The NC NAACP denounced law officers' conduct in the Kyron Hinton case.

In June of 2018, the videos of the confrontation between Kyron Hinton and 8 officers were released.
"This happens all the time and it's swept under the rug," Hinton said as ABC11 replayed the tense moments on an iPad from the Light House in Raleigh.

RELATED: Raleigh man's first interview since video of police beating, K9 attack
Several months later, Hinton was facing charges of his own. In September of 2018, officers were called to Longview Grocery at 2405 Poole Road in Raleigh. They said Hinton was "acting erratically" by swinging a bottle of bleach and an ashtray stand.

When officers tried to detain him, he kicked and resisted.

RELATED: Wake County deputy, two state troopers charged with assault with a deadly weapon
Medical responders treated Hinton at the scene and then took him to WakeMed for further treatment.

Hinton then faced several new charges: assault on law enforcement officer, damage to government property, resist, delay and obstruct, and second-degree trespass.

He eventually sued the North Carolina Department of Public Safety, saying the Highway Patrol's negligence led to the beating.
Copyright © 2022 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.