The year is ending without another Mega Millions instant millionaire as no winning ticket matched all six numbers in Friday night's $685 million drawing.
The jackpot is expected to grow to at least $785 million for the next drawing, on Tuesday.
The winning numbers for Friday's drawing are: 1-3-6-44-51 and Mega Ball is 7.
If someone had won, the $685 million jackpot offered a cash option of $347 million.
Lottery officials said after the drawing that while there was no big winner there was a single ticket sold in Ohio that matched five numbers and could be worth $1 million.
There are still a few opportunities left to strike it rich before the calendar closes out on 2022. The Powerball jackpot, which will be drawn on New Year's Eve, is up to $246 million.
Individual state lotteries may also have individual drawings, such as California's SuperLotto Plus, which is at $20 million and will also be drawn Saturday.
Friday's top prize would have been the sixth largest in the history of the Mega Millions game - and the second-largest in 2022, after a winning ticket worth $1.34 billion was sold in Des Plaines, Illinois last July.
Also in 2022, the U.S. record lottery jackpot prize was sold in Southern California after someone bought a Powerball ticket worth $2.04 billion.
1. $2.04 billion, Powerball, Nov. 7, 2022 (1 ticket from California)
2. $1.586 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
3. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, Oct. 23, 2018 (one ticket, from South Carolina)
4. $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022 (one ticket, from Illinois)
5. $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, Jan. 22, 2021 (one ticket, from Michigan)
6. $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket, from Wisconsin)
7. $758.7 million, Powerball, Aug. 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
8. $731.1 million, Powerball, Jan. 20, 2021 (one ticket, from Maryland)
9. $699.8 million, Powerball, Oct. 4, 2021 (one ticket, from California)
10. $687.8 million, Powerball, Oct. 27, 2018 (two tickets, from Iowa and New York)
Tickets are sold in 45 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Mega Millions tickets are $2 each, and players have the option to add the Megaplier for an additional $1 for the chance to multiply non-jackpot prizes.
Mega Millions drawings are held every Tuesday and Friday.