Man involved in Nash Co. 'road rage' incident speaks out

NASH COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Rocky Mount man facing assault charges after a road rage incident Monday night claims the other driver involved targeted him and his wife as they were driving home.

Nash County deputies arrested and charged Daniel Edwards, 35, Monday with simple assault and resisting a public officer.

Deputies accused Edwards of following 69-year-old Norman Webb off I-95 into Nashville around 7:15 p.m. Edwards reportedly proceeded to get out of his pickup truck and punch Webb multiple times in the face before a deputy forced him into handcuffs.

Edwards told ABC11 on Thursday his actions were justified.

"I feel it was justified, yes," he said. "Me hitting him? Is that what you're referring to? Yes. I feel it was justified. He tried to kill my wife and I several times."

Edwards said moments before punches were thrown at the intersection of Hwy 58 and Washington Street, he and his wife were driving home on I-95; they had just dropped off their three children at their grandparents' home.

"We were cruisin'," he said. "I catch a blur out the corner of my eye and about the same time I catch that blur, my wife starts yelling and screaming. Immediately, I looked and I just kind of froze. I didn't know what to do. There was a vehicle, a truck, a white truck, trying to push us off the road."

The Highway Patrol said the driver of the white Chevy pickup was Webb, also of Rocky Mount.

Edwards claims Webb struck his truck three different times as they drove down the interstate at over 70 miles per hour. He said he had his wife call 911 as he got in front of Webb's truck, trying to stop him.

"I don't know," Edwards said as he tried to recall what he was thinking at the time. "What's wrong with him? Why is he doing this? To my knowledge, I hadn't noticed his vehicle. I don't know him from Adam."

Edwards said he followed Webb's truck as he exited onto Hwy 58 into Nashville. As the two stopped at the intersection, Edwards said he was relieved to see Nash County deputies were already there.

"I was pointing and yelling and screaming that's him please- that's him, that's him," Edwards said, describing how he was leaning out of his truck and pointing to the Chevy in front of him. "Nobody was reacting. Nobody was out of their vehicles."

Unsure of whether he walked or ran over to Webb's truck, Edwards said he lost patience and went up to him as he sat inside his cab.

"I was infuriated at that point," he said. "I was only thinking about what he had done to my wife and I, and I hit him in his lip I think, and the next thing I know was waking up unconscious and I was still being choked by one of the sheriff's deputies."

Deputies said Webb refused medical assistance and left the scene.

Edwards was treated for injuries he sustained while he resisted authorities. He was then charged with simple assault and resist, delay, obstruct public officer, and placed under a $2,000 bond.

The Highway Patrol charged both Edwards and Webb with careless and reckless driving.

Webb faces an additional charge of hit and run. He declined to comment when ABC11 contacted him.

Report a Typo
Copyright © 2021 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.