Wilson woman dies in house fire

WTVD Photo

A woman died after accidentally starting a fire in her Wilson home early Saturday.

The woman, who was in her 70s, was refueling a kerosene heater when the fire ignited around 2:30 a.m.

Authorities said the fire left the Walnut Street home a total loss.


The Wilson fire captain confirmed there were three people in the home at the time of the fire, the victim and her two daughters.

The daughters reportedly tried to extinguish the flames and get their mother out of the home safely, but they were unsuccessful.

Investigators did not say if the fire was started by kerosene spilling.

The Wilson fire chief said kerosene heater safety is very important, adding heaters should always be refueled outside. Heaters should also never be lit during refueling, and all warnings on the heater should be followed.

The American Red Cross is helping the daughters with housing. The victim's name has not been released.

Report a Typo
Related Topics:
fire deathWilson
(Copyright ©2018 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)