Just after 5 a.m., numerous fire crews were called to the house in the 1500 block of Hanover Street, near Aycock Street, after heavy smoke was seen coming from the home's attic.
A woman was taken to the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Health Care after suffering second degree burns to her hand and smoke inhalation. No one else was injured.
Firefighters were able to get the flames under control by 5:30 a.m. It appeared the fire damaged a covered front porch.
It is unclear what sparked the blaze.