If you begin to slide, remember the following rules:
- Don't panic.
- Take your foot off of the accelerator.
- If you have to use the breaks, use them gently (antilock brakes should be applied with gentle, steady pressure; for standard, non-ABS brakes, pump the brake pedal gently to avoid locking up).
- Wait for the car to slow down enough to regain traction before gently accelerating.
- Yield the right of way at intersections.
- Steer your vehicle in the direction that your rear wheels are skidding.
- Avoid focusing on what your vehicle may be headed toward and instead focus on getting out of the skid.
- Shift into neutral.
- Don't try to steer immediately.
- When your vehicle begins to slow down, steer in the direction that you want your vehicle to go.
- Put the vehicle into gear and gently accelerate.
For more information on driving safely in severe weather, click here.