FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- The Fayetteville Police Department kicked off "Operation Safe Summer" to keep parties safe.
It's the only program of its kind in the state and police hope it cuts down on trouble at house parties.
Last year, violence at house parties killed or and wounded several teenagers. Often police said the shooters were uninvited guests.
Wednesday, Police Chief Harold Medlock said that, through the summer, 12 police officers will be on patrol every Friday and Saturday night for house party trouble.
Teens or parents can call police or text 911 and officers will respond. They will not be there to break the party up, but to help calm down the situation.
The chief also asked parents to voluntarily register a house party so that officers can drive by, and be a presence that will help keep the party from getting out of hand.
Fayetteville Mayor Nat Robeson is also proposing an ordinance that will put a $500 fine on property owners, or residents, if they have to investigate a neighbor, or a community's complaints of loud music, or an unruly crowd.
The chief also begged parents to get involved.
Last weekend, one person was killed and two others were injured at a party in the 6000 block of Wagon Wheel Court.
Report a Typo
More TOP STORIES News