FAYETTEVILLE, North Carolina (WTVD) -- A gas leak forced students and staff out of William H. Owen Elementary School in Fayetteville Monday morning.
Stay on top of breaking news stories with the ABC11 News App
According to authorities, the leak was reported just after 10:45 a.m. at the school in the 4500 block of Raeford Road.
Students and staff had already self-evacuated the building by the time fire and emergency crews arrived, officials said.
The Fayetteville Fire Department's Hazardous Materials Response Team were called to the scene to conduct air monitoring inside the building.
School maintenance and Piedmont Gas personnel were also at the scene assisting. The gas supply was shut off to the building as a precaution.
Students and faculty were allowed back into the school around noon.
More TOP STORIES News