Man accused in bond kickback scheme accepts plea deal

RALEIGH (WTVD) -- There are new developments in a major bail bond kickback scheme in Wake County, which the ABC11 I-Team first reported in February.

Now, one of those accused in the scandal entered a plea at the Wake County Justice Center Monday afternoon.

James Perkins entered a guilty plea in court. The judge sentenced him to six months jail time.

That plea agreement also carries a restitution of $73,800 for the 19 cases he is proven to be directly involved in.

It all stemmed from an investigation that started late last year. Investigators said for years that bail bondsmen James Perkins and Kenneth Golder paid bribes to avoid paying forfeited bonds. The entire scheme cheated Wake County Schools out of about a million dollars.

Before sentencing, Perkins addressed the court.

"I've been in the business about 14 years and I just made a poor, poor decision," said Perkins. "I'm an honest gentleman. I've always taken care of my family. I do the best I can to help anyone else. This right here is the only time I've done anything out of character."

Golder faced a judge right after Perkins. However, he rejected his plea offer, and even gave the camera a "thumbs up" upon leaving the courtroom.

The Wake County Public School System has filed its own civil motion in the case.

Report a Typo

Related topics:
raleighkickback scheme
Copyright © 2019 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.