Durham man fell asleep while frying french fries before house fire, officials say

DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- Durham fire officials said they were dispatched to a fire overnight after a man fell asleep while frying french fries on the stove.

Firefighters arrived to a fire in the 3200 block of Duke Homestead Road just before 3 a.m., said Deputy Fire Chief Chris Iannuzzi.

Officials said the resident of the home was awakened by the smoke alarm after falling asleep while frying fries on the stove.

Stay on top of breaking news stories with the ABC11 News App

The fire caused heavy damage to the kitchen, attic and roof.

There were no injuries, officials said.

The adult and two children were displaced but are staying with relatives.

Deputy Chief Iannuzzi said unattended cooking is the leading cause of cooking fires in Durham.

RELATED: Your clothes dryer poses a major fire danger but it can easily be fixed

EMBED More News Videos

Copyright © 2019 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.