ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (WTVD) -- Authorities in Rocky Mount are investigating a house fire that killed a 4-year-old Cary boy and his 63-year-old disabled great-grandfather.
Firefighters were called to the 1700 block of Springfield Road around 9:50 p.m. Monday after flames were seen sweeping through the man's home, and engulfing a minivan outside.
The man's wife, Monzell Fasegha, said her husband, Frederick Fasegha, was a paraplegic and was confined to a wheelchair after being shot during a grocery store robbery in 1977. He and her great-grandson, Isaiah Crews, were home alone when the power went out in a storm. A short time later, neighbors said they heard some kind of explosion.
"He was everything to everybody," Fasegha said. "Everybody was his friend. He didn't have any enemies! He did anything for anybody."
She told ABC11 she suspected the fire had something to do with the gasoline and electric generator her husband was using to power the house during the outage.
The family said they believe the blaze began outside and spread to the house, but fire officials have not determined the cause and are still investigating.
Fasegha also said Crews lived with his mother in Cary, but was staying at the house when the incident happened.
Monzell and her husband were planning to take their great grandson on vacation this week to Wilmington. Now, the family forced to make arrangements for not one but two funerals.