Man faces multiple charges after standoff in Apex

Ed Crump Image
Thursday, December 15, 2016
Man in custody after standoff in Apex
EMBED <>More Videos

Cameron Gilbert

APEX, North Carolina (WTVD) -- Police in Apex have a man in custody after shots were fired Wednesday on Walden Glade Run in the Walden Creek neighborhood off Highway 55.

Apex Police have confirmed that man is 29-year-old Cameron Gilbert, of the 400 block of West Chatham Street in Apex, who came to the Walden Creek subdivision home of his ex-girlfriend and her family.

Gilbert has been charged with second-degree kidnapping, as well as two other charges related to discharging a firearm and breaking and entering.

Gilbert was armed with a long gun - police say they don't know if it was a rifle or shotgun, but they say he fired out the door when they arrived.

Pictures from Chopper11 HD showed a heavy police presence in the 2000 block of Walden Glade Run with multiple streets blocked off. There was also a SWAT team on scene.

By then he had let everyone go except for a woman who was hiding inside.

When police told the suspect there was someone in the bathroom (because the person in the bathroom was calling 911), he let that person out and the standoff continued.

So then it was a two-hour standoff with SWAT officers before Gilbert was finally talked into surrendering.

Neighbors tell ABC11 that they were surprised to see such a heavy police presence in the area, calling the neighborhood, "quiet."

One man at the scene said Gilbert used to date his daughter, even lived at his home, and is a good but troubled man.

Stay on top of breaking news stories with the ABC11 News App

"We played softball together. He's just a great, great kid with problems," Kenneth Seagroves, told ABC11.

When asked how he felt about Wednesday's incident, Seagroves replied, "Good, better than the outcome we thought was going to happen."

Gilbert was taken from the scene in an ambulance.

Police said their first priority is making sure Gilbert gets any psychological or medical help he may need.

"Very happy with the way things turned out," said Capt. Blair Myhand of the Apex Police Department. "Again, we have no injuries. There is no longer a threat that we're aware of to this community whatsoever. So this was a win for everybody involved today."

Report a Typo