Wake schools switching to plain-language emergency alerts

Updated 2 hours ago
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- With more than 160,000 Wake County students set to return to the classroom Monday, the school district is implementing new safety measures for the 2026-27 school year.

The district is transitioning to what it calls "plain speak" in its emergency response protocols, moving away from the "red, yellow and green" coded system previously used.

Kendrick Scott, Wake County Public School System's senior director of security, said the goal is to give students and staff clear instructions during an emergency.

"You'll hear the again, the action word, whether it's secure, evacuate or shelter, followed by what to do after that. That way you don't have to wonder if you're in the building, what to do," Scott said.

Scott said the new approach is designed to make emergency instructions easier to understand during moments of panic.



"In a time of panic, you may not be able to articulate yourself. You know, okay, is it red? Is it yellow? is it green? What do I do? Do I go, do I stay? So, in this way we're going to give you a verbal command and some directions on what to do," Scott said.

The new system also includes a "hold" feature, which provides an option between a full lockdown and the previous code yellow response while the district investigates a possible emergency.

"In the old system, it was either complete lock down the school or this code yellow thing, but there's nothing in between where we could just keep the school kind of contained while we investigate something," Scott said.

For some parents, the changes are about providing clearer directions to students, staff and families during an emergency.

"Code red means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. But if you say evacuate, that gives people a specific direction," said Kim Matsune, a mother of two Wake County Public School System students.



Matsune said the more specific terminology could help reduce fear and provide greater clarity during emergencies.

"When you hear Code Red, everyone gets really, really scared. And so there with those more specific terms, I think that'll help," she said.

The district is also introducing mandatory safety awareness videos for middle and high school students during the first week of school. The videos will educate students about inappropriate behavior and adult misconduct.

Matsune said the videos can help students recognize that they have a role in identifying and reporting concerns.

"If we're empowering our kids to be able to have, you know, some level of vigilance and give them the independence and the autonomy to say, 'hey, my voice actually matters'. Now the question is, we've got to listen to them when they tell us," she said.



The safety awareness videos are now mandatory in North Carolina following a state law passed in 2023.

The district's new emergency response system is already being rolled out for year-round students, with additional drills and training planned for students on the traditional calendar.

READ MORE BACK-TO-SCHOOL STORIES
Copyright © 2026 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.