Fayetteville fire that displaced dozens was accidental

EMBED </>More News Videos

Fayetteville fire is ruled accidental.

Fayetteville Fire investigators have ruled a fire at the Carlson Bay Apartments on Cliffdale Road as accidental.

Tuesday, nearly two dozen residents were looking for some other place to stay. Nicole Kistler and her roommate moved to another apartment in the complex.

"Oh! It's been a pain to move everything," Kistler said.

But Kistler and her roommate are thankful they have their furniture and belongings to move.

"Just a lot of water damage just leaking through the roof, and from the fire alarms themselves, water coming straight down from here" Kistler said. "Luckily, nothing too expensive got wet."

Her old apartment was one of more than a dozen damaged in the Monday night fire. Investigators say it started on a third-floor balcony. They haven't said what sparked the blaze.

As the flames burned up the outside of the building and into the attic, residents ran banging on neighbor's doors sounding the alarm.


Fort Bragg soldier Aron Miranda ran to the apartment where the fire started, to see if he could help.

"There were two kids in there and a lady, Miranda said. "She was trying to put out the fire herself, but she had no fire extinguisher. She got out of there."

Fire crews say one apartment was damaged, while the other apartments had smoke and water damage. No one was hurt.

The woman who lived in the apartment where the fire started would not talk about what sparked the blaze.

Utility crews cut power to the three-story apartment building. A disaster recovery crew from Raleigh started cleaning up Tuesday. There is no word on how long repairs will take.

Several residents moved into other apartments, The Red Cross is helping other tenants. A Red Cross spokesperson said most of the residents had renter's insurance.

Report a Typo
Related Topics:
newsapartment fireFayetteville
(Copyright ©2016 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments