Cigarette butt blamed for fire that burned Wendell home

EMBED </>More News Videos

A home was destroyed in Wendell.

Fire investigators said Tuesday that a cigarette butt tossed into a flower pot ignited the fire that destroyed a home on Cortona Way in Wendell on Monday.

It happened Monday in the 7800 block of Cortona Way, in the Tuscan Ridge neighborhood.

No one was home when the fire broke out.

A GoFundMe was set up for Brian and Amy Fitts and their two daughters, who lost everything in the fire.

WANT TO HELP? CLICK HERE FOR THE GOFUNDME PAGE

Chopper 11 HD was on the scene Monday and massive flames could be seen shooting out of the home's roof.

ORIGINAL STORY: FIRE DESTROYS TWO-STORY HOME NEAR WENDELL

Wendell Fire Department Chief Brian Staples told ABC11 on Monday that the house was a total loss.



The fire started in the back of the house in the deck area and quickly went up that part of the house, taking over both floors.

A neighbor was able to go into the house and rescue the family dog before firefighters arrived.

Report a Typo
Related Topics:
newshouse firewake county newsfundraiserWendell
(Copyright ©2016 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments