McCrory updates public on Charlotte investigation

EMBED </>More News Videos

The governor spoke to the media Friday about the situation in Charlotte (WTVD)

Gov. Pat McCrory held a news conference in Raleigh Friday to give a brief update on the state's response to the unrest in Charlotte, among other topics that will linger long after things calm down.

"Needless to say, over the past week North Carolina has faced three extremely difficult situations," said McCrory. "Today, I want to assure our citizens that North Carolina is addressing each of these situations head on. We have been prepared and I am proud of the collaboration between our law enforcement and our emergency response teams to protect the citizens of our great state."

The three "extremely difficult situations" McCrory is referencing include the officer-involved shooting in Charlotte, the statewide fuel shortage, and the flooding in northeastern North Carolina.

EMBED </>More News Videos

Gov. McCrory comments on Charlotte shooting, eastern NC flooding, and the gas shortage

The governor entered the news conference with his Secretary of Public Safety and the leaders of the National Guard and Highway Patrol. He praised their response to the protests and rioting in Charlotte, noting the assistance they have provided Charlotte-Mecklenbug police.
He said so far, the protests have cost the state nearly $300,000.

McCrory also said the State Bureau of Investigation has already interviewed most of the critical witnesses involved in Tuesday's shooting of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott.

READ MORE: Family releases video of Keith Lamont Scott shooting

McCrory said SBI agents have a copy of the police body cam video taken during the shooting. Although Scott's family has been shown that video, it has not yet been released to the public.
The governor indicated he would like a judge to help decide whether releasing it would violate the constitutional rights of those involved.

At the news conference, McCrory also praised community leaders in Charlotte for helping diffuse the tension.

The governor also said the state will not tolerate anarchists who are coming into the state to incite assaults and destruction of property. He announced a suspect has been arrested in the shooting of a protester earlier this week, and he denounced those who blamed that shooting on police.

READ MORE: Arrest made in fatal shooting of Charlotte protester

Aside from the situation in Charlotte, McCrory updated the public on the state's response to severe flooding in northeastern N.C., where 11 counties are under a State of Emergency.

Water rescue teams were deployed to help people stranded in floodwaters, and have rescued 138 people so far from homes and vehicles. NC DOT crews are working to survey the damage to the regions roadways and will begin necessary repairs. Three primary routes remain closed - U.S. 17 Business in Windsor, U.S. 13 north of Windsor and N.C. 45 in Hertford County - along with numerous secondary roads.

The fuel shortage was also addressed during the governor's press conference. The state is no longer scrambling for fuel, as the Wilmington distribution terminal at the port has been operating at nearly four times the normal production capacity, McCrory said.

The Colonial Pipeline bypass was completed Tuesday, the governor announced. Delivery amounts are expected to continue to increase in the coming days.

Report a Typo
Related Topics:
newspat mccroryofficer-involved shootingfloodingRaleigh
(Copyright ©2016 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments