DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) --Durham police are searching for suspects in a drive-by shooting that left one man dead and sent three others to the hospital.
The events unfolded Sunday evening on Holloway Street, and ended with a car slamming into the side of a house.
Police have released the identity of the man killed: 27-year-old Juan Carlos Ruiz, of Durham.
Aaron Clark said he was standing at his grill outside his home on Holloway Street when all of a sudden he saw people rushing to a home just up street.
"We heard sirens," Clark said. "It was the ambulance that came first."
His quiet weekend with family changed when he saw a car crashed right into a home close to his.
"It was frightening enough to see the car smashed into the house like that," he said.
Durham police say the driver was hit by gunshots fired from someone in another vehicle just a few blocks away near the train tracks.
The car then careened down the street, bypassing oncoming traffic and other homes before crashing into an empty home.
Clark believes he saw a woman who may have been related to the driver who died on scene.
"She burst into tears," Clark said. "They had to hold her, restrain her, they were rubbing her back."
Police say three other men in the car were injured.
"Saw them bring a body out he was on a stretcher," said Von Flagler, who lives nearby. "He was sitting up, had a neck brace on."
Police spent hours collecting evidence, even closing down part of Holloway Street.
So far, there have been no arrests in connection with the shooting.
The victim's family is urging anyone with information to come forward.
Report a Typo