Man charged in connection with the death of Mariah Woods makes brief court appearance, bond at 1M

Monday, December 4, 2017
Earl Kimrey makes court appearance
EMBED <>More Videos

Earl Kimrey appeared in court Monday.

ONSLOW COUNTY, North Carolina (WTVD) -- The man charged in connection with the death of 3-year-old Mariah Woods made his first court appearance Monday morning.

Thirty-two-year-old Earl Kimrey is the live-in boyfriend of Mariah's mother.

The latest:

* Authorities believed they have found the remains of Mariah Woods.
*Remains located in Shelter Creek along Shaw Highway in Pender County.
*Remains to be identified by the medical examiner's office.
* 32-year-old Earl Kimrey has been arrested and charged.

During Kimrey's brief court appearance, the judge asked him if he had any questions before scheduling his next court date for December 18.

He is being held in the Onslow County Detention Center under a $1,010,000 bond.

Attorney Walter Paramore of Jacksonville is representing Kimrey. Paramore also represented Marine Cesar Laurean during the Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach murder case 10 years ago.

Authorities in Onslow County have charged Kimrey with concealing of death; obstruction of justice, second-degree burglary, felony larceny, and possession of stolen property.

He was taken into custody by investigators at the Onslow County Sheriff's Office on Friday.

A warrant obtained said that Kimrey obstructed justice by "removing Mariah Woods' body from the scene of her death and did conceal Mariah Woods' death and body, knowing that Mariah Woods died from unnatural causes. The defendant acted with deceit and intent to fraud."

The warrant also said authorities believe that Kimrey "secretly disposed of the dead child's body."

The Fayetteville police dive team recovered what they believe to be Mariah's remains from Shelter Creek in Pender County, Saturday evening.

A medical examiner is now performing an autopsy to figure out exactly how she died.

Mariah was last seen in bed by her mother around 11 p.m. on November 26. Her disappearance prompted an Amber Alert on November 27 that had gained national attention.

Missing 3-year-old Mariah Woods

District Attorney Ernie Lee has been consulted on the current charges and additional charges could be pending as the investigation continues.

"This investigation continues," he said. "I will be awaiting the results of the medical examiner's report and making some decisions at that time."