Suspects in freezer murder agree to plea deal


Forty-two-year-old Wendy Edmond Green was first to enter a plea Friday in the death of 51-year-old David Green Jr. She pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

On both charges, she was sentenced to a minimum of 30 years in prison. The judge also ordered a psychological exam and treatment.

David Green Jr.'s children - 18-year-old Alexis Green and 16-year-old David Green III - were also charged in his death.

Alexis Green pleaded guilty Friday to accessory after the fact to first-degree murder, first-degree burglary, felony larceny, breaking and entering of a motor vehicle and misdemeanor larceny. She was sentenced a minimum of 6 years in prison. The judge also ordered a psychological exam and treatment.

David Green III was sentenced a minimum of 23 years in prison on conspiracy and second-degree murder charges.

During the sentencing hearing, prosecutors described a gruesome killing and treatment of the body.

They said it began in January 2009 when Green Jr. learned Alexis - who was 15 at the time - was likely pregnant and hiding it from him. Green Jr. told the family he would take Alexis to the doctor and would kill Wendy and bury her body in the backyard if he confirmed the pregnancy.

Prosecutors say that Wendy and the teens then conspired to kill Green Jr. that evening.

Green III - who was just 13 at the time - went into his father's room and hit him in the head with a hammer as he slept. That blow, and another administered later, didn't immediately kill him. Prosecutors say the 51-year-old crawled around the home from about 8:30 a.m. to 3 or 4 p.m.

"Begging for help," said prosecutor Jason Waller said.

When Green Jr. finally died from a crushed skull, prosecutors say the family dragged his body into the basement.

Green Jr.'s brother didn't report him missing until September 2010. His body was found in a freezer of the Ray Road home on October 6, 2010 by detectives.

Prosecutors say the body had been cut up before being placed in the freezer.

Wendy Green had apparently moved out of the house sometime after Green Jr. was last seen. Prosecutors said she left when the money ran out. She was arrested at her parent's home in Lumberton shortly after the discovery of the body.

Prosecutors painted her as the ringleader in court Friday, saying she manipulated the children into the killing.

"She left those kids in Raleigh for a year and a half with a body in the freezer," said Waller.

Alexis Green was already in the Wake County Jail when her father's body was found. She was serving time for a burglary and failure to appear in court.

David Green III was in St. Paul, Minnesota living with a friend. Detectives later brought him back to Raleigh.

Investigators say Wendy Green is the teens' mother and was Green Jr.'s live-in girlfriend. She assumed his last name at some point during their relationship, but they never legally married.

Court documents show the Greens had domestic and custody issues before the murder, including an assault on Wendy Green in 2007. Green Jr. was arrested and charged in that incident. Court documents show Wendy sued for custody of the children and Green Jr. wanted his name added to his daughter's birth certificate.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Copyright © 2024 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.