Sister says Young appeared to fake grief

Michelle Fisher testifies as prosecutor Becky Holt holds up a crime scene photograph.

February 7, 2012 4:01:58 PM PST
Meredith Fisher again relived the day she found her sister Michelle Young beaten to death on the witness stand Tuesday.

It was the second day of testimony from Fisher who found her sister in a pool of blood Nov. 3, 2006.

Michelle's husband is on trial for the second time in Michelle's death. His first trial ended last June with the jury deadlocked at eight-to-four to acquit.

Prosecutors claim Young faked a business trip to Virginia and returned in the middle of the night to beat Michelle to death. According to a medical examiner's report, she died from 30 blows to the head.

In her opening statement, prosecutor Becky Holt called in an extremely personal killing. Michelle was five months pregnant when she died.

On the witness stand Tuesday, Fisher said her sister's body was lying next to her bed. She said the Young's daughter Cassidy - who was 2-years-old at the time - was in the bed next to her mother.

Detectives said the little girl was left with the body for hours and tracked bloody footprints all over the second floor of the home.

"She had dried blood in the nail beds of her feet," Fisher testified.

Fisher also said she went to the home at the direction of Jason Young, who told her he wanted her to collect some information about a present for his wife that he had accidentally left on his computer printer.

Fisher testified that when Jason Young was told of his wife's death, he declined to speak with detectives.

She said he had a conversation with her at her home later in the day after she found the body. Fisher testified that Young's emotions did not seem genuine when he appeared to cry.

"I did not see one tear fall," she said.

Fisher also said she asked Young questions about where he had been when Michelle was killed, but he was vague with his replies.

"I was left with bad taste in my mouth," said Fisher.

Fisher said Young told her he didn't want to speak with the police without an attorney present. Young's defense has said his friend's had already warned him he was a suspect, and that's why he was being careful.

Fisher also testified about her steadily deteriorating relationship with Jason Young after Michelle's death. She said the Young family threatened to cut off any visitation with Cassidy if the Fisher family didn't come out and publically support Jason in the media.

That happened when they didn't agree. The Fishers later took Young to court and got custody of the child.

At his first trial, Young took the witness stand in his own defense. He admitted he and Michelle were having problems, but said he was working on his marriage and didn't kill his wife. He said he was asleep in a Hampton Inn in Hillsville, Va. when the murder happened.

The prosecution alleges someone unplugged a surveillance camera near an exit at the hotel and propped the door open to allow someone to pass in and out unseen. Young's defense said he did not have time to be in all the places prosecutors say he was in the night of the murder.

In his opening statement Monday, Young's defense attorney Mike Klinkosum said his client did not kill his wife.

"This case has not been solved, ever," said Klinkosum

There's no word if Young will take the stand in his own defense this time around. Holt has said she expects the new trial to last about six weeks.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook