Man tells 911 operator: 'I just shot my wife'


"I just shot my wife," 64-year-old Mario Vellotti told a 911 operator.

Police say Vellotti killed 43-year-old Agata Filipska Vellotti at a townhome community in Wakefield on Colbert Creek Loop near North Forest Pines Elementary School August 30.

According to court records, the couple was separated and fighting for custody of their 6-year-old son. Earlier this summer, a Wake County judge issued a domestic violence protection order against Vellotti.

Before calling 911, Vellotti contacted an attorney's office. A secretary in the office called 911 immediately afterwards.

"I'm calling from an attorney’s office and we have somebody who just called here and reported that he shot his ex-wife outside of a school," reported the secretary.

"We advised him to surrender himself and turn himself in, but he would not tell us where he was going or where he was at this point," the secretary continued.

When Vellotti called 911, the operator attempted to give him directions on where to turn himself in. He later showed up at the Raleigh Police Department's downtown office, apparently complained of chest pains, and was taken to WakeMed where he was treated and later released into police custody.

One of Vellotti's neighbors also called 911 around the time of the shooting.

"I’m at work, but I just got a call from my neighbor who says she saw another neighbor walk into my yard with what appeared to be a gun. Um, I’m afraid. My wife is home," the man reported.

"I’m a witness in an ongoing case, ah, a witness on the behalf of his wife. He’s made verbal threats against my family," the man continued.

Agata Vellotti's lawyer's office also contacted authorities to say Vellotti had been seen near her home with a gun. While on the phone, the lawyer reported that a call was coming in from Vellotti's attorney.

"His lawyer thinks she’s already been shot," the lawyer reported.

Family members say Agata Vellotti was originally from a small farm town outside of Krakow, Poland and she studied to be an artist.

She and Vellotti were married in 2005 and she moved to the U.S. with him in 2007. Agata was killed just after returning from walking her 6-year-old son to school. The boy is now in protective custody.

Agata is survived by her brother and parents who are retired teachers. The family is currently in the Triangle trying to get custody of her son.

They also hope to take Agata's remains back to Poland.

A fund has been set up a fund to help with expenses. Send contributions to Francesco's Fund, c/o Wake Family Law Group, 4350 Lassiter at North Hills Ave., Raleigh, N.C. 27609.

Meanwhile, Mario Vellotti remains in jail charged with murder.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Copyright © 2023 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.