RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services says it has confirmed three additional cases of Enterovirus D68, or EV-D68, in North Carolina, totaling nine since Sept. 22.
The three specimens that tested positive for EV-D68 were obtained from children ages 10 and under with respiratory illnesses.
"The confirmed cases were located in different parts of the state, so it is important for everyone, including parents and schools, to take necessary actions to prevent the spread of EV-D68 and other respiratory viruses. There are no vaccines and no specific treatments for EV-D68, so prevention is the best option," said Dr. Zack Moore, a pediatrician and epidemiologist with the Division of Public Health.
Enteroviruses are transmitted through close contact with an infected person, or by touching objects or surfaces that are contaminated with the virus and then touching the mouth, nose or eyes.
For more information, visit the CDC website on Enterovirus D68: http://www.cdc.gov/non-polio-enterovirus/about/ev-d68.html.
Enteroviruses are common viruses that can cause a range of symptoms, including runny nose, coughing, mouth sores, fever and body aches, but some patients will also develop wheezing and difficulty breathing. If you or your child experience cold-like symptoms and difficulty breathing, contact your healthcare provider right away.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said last week that four people infected with the virus had died, but it's unclear what role the virus played in their deaths.
Report a Typo
Three new Enterovirus cases found in North Carolina
More TOP STORIES News