Governor's letter to WakeMed raises questions about proposed merger with Atrium Health

WTVD logo
Saturday, August 22, 2026 2:35AM
Governor's letter to WakeMed voices concerns about proposed merger
The letter from Gov. Josh Stein's office says the announced proposal will "have a significant effect on health care in Wake County and beyond."

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- Gov. Josh Stein weighed in on the proposed merger between WakeMed and Atrium Health.

The governor sent a letter to WakeMed this week seeking answers about the merger.

The letter says the recently announced proposal will "have a significant effect on health care in Wake County and beyond."

READ THE FULL LETTER HERE (.pdf)

It went on to say that the proposed combination "deserves close scrutiny and careful consideration."

Stein's office told ABC11 that some of the questions it has raised are about the potential effect on health care costs, governance and accountability, and the preservation of access to care for low-income patients.

The Wake County Board of Commissioners held a public hearing earlier this week, with some people speaking in favor of the move, and others strongly opposed.

The board of commissioners has not yet set a date for a vote on the potential merger.

Download the ABC11 News app


Copyright © 2026 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.