Did you know you can use solar power to cook your favorite foods? Watch this video to discover how to create a delicious meal with only a pizza box and a few simple steps!
Click here to download a PDF of the experiment to print & recreate with your kids at home!
Going Camping? Interested in methods of cooking that don't add greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere? If you're patient and willing to move your oven where the sun is, you'll be rewarded with hot, yummy food!
Several scientific phenomena are involved in making your oven:
- HEAT is the form of (thermal) energy that is transferred by a difference in temperature. You want to transfer the sun's heatto your solar oven.
- REFLECTION is throwing back of light, heat or sound by a body or surface (like a mirror). The foil you'll use in your ovenwill reflect the sun's light and heat inside your oven.
- ABSORBTION is when energy is taken into a material, rather than reflected. In your oven, the black paper will absorb theheat that the foil is reflecting into it.
- CONVECTION is the transfer of heat by the movement of a gas or liquid. You'll use the clear wrap to make your oven airtight so the warmed air cannot leave through convection.
- INSULATION Your newspaper will help prevent the heat from leaving the oven through RADIATION.
Find us at Facebook.com/abc11scienceclub and share a video or picture of your pizza box solar oven!