4 dead in Tarboro shootings

Sunday, March 1, 2015
WTVD Photo

TARBORO, NC -- Four people are dead in three related shooting incidents in Tarboro Saturday afternoon.

It began just before 1 p.m. at the Master's Touch Barber Shop located at 801 West St. James Street when police said 40-year-old Ian Sherrod walked in and shot 36-year-old George Lee Dickens Jr - killing him.

When police got there, they got another call at 1:20 p.m. about a second shooting at the Mobile Home Estates.

At the second location, officers found 28-year-old Ana Marlen Cruz-Franco shot to death and 36-year-old Ventura Sanchez seriously wounded. Sanchez was treated at Vidant Edgecombe Hospital, but he died on Sunday morning.

Authorities later discovered Sherrod lived right next door to the two victims killed at the Mobile Home Estates.

Police next got a tip that Sherrod was in his pickup truck in the area of Main Street and Northern Boulevard in Tarboro.

The information was radioed to Tarboro police officers, deputies with the Edgecombe County Sheriff's Department, and the North Carolina Highway Patrol.

Officers found Sherrod sitting in his truck displaying a gun at a parking lot in the 2,300 block of Main Street.

After trying repeatedly to get Sherrod to surrender, police say he got out of the truck and pointed the gun at officers, who shot and killed him.

As is standard in all officer-involved shootings, the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation has been called in to review the incident.

One of the officers involved was with the Tarboro Police Department, the other was a deputy from the Edgecombe County Sheriff's Office. Both have been placed on paid administrative leave, pending the outcome of the investigation.

Tarboro police said that Sherrod had no criminal record, and they are working to determine a motive for the shootings.

Anyone who witnessed any of the shootings - or who can give information - is asked to contact the Tarboro Police Department at (252) 641-4247.

Report a Typo