Officials: Fatal fire caused by smoking materials

Police and fire crews are investigating a fatal fire in Durham.
November 8, 2013 6:53:23 PM PST
Fire investigators say a fatal fire in Durham on Dupree Street was an accident caused by smoking materials.

It happened around 4 p.m. near the North Carolina Central University campus in the 400 block of Dupree Street.

? Click here for a Google map of the area. ?

When firefighters arrived there was only light smoke in the air until they broke through a door and smoke billowed out.

The victim was found in a second floor bedroom where smoking materials were found near the bed.

A neighbor tells ABC11 that the victim was a long-time resident, who lived in the house alone and could only get around using a walker.

The victim's name is not being released.  

The deputy fire chief told ABC11 that the home had no working smoke detectors.

See It On TV | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Send us photos
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments