
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- Several family members were in a Wake County courtroom when a 66-year-old Raleigh woman was arraigned on a first-degree murder charge.
Sandra Hunter is accused of killing 72-year-old Arthur Upchurch, who was previously convicted of assaulting her.
Hunter's family sat in the front row and were seen crying during the first court appearance.
Hunter said "I love you" several times to family members as she was being let out of the courtroom.
Her defense attorney asked the judge to consider setting bond.

"Given Miss Hunter's age, she does have a number of family members here to support, I understand it's a very early stage in the proceedings, but it's my understanding that the alleged victim in these proceedings has been convicted of multiple assaults against Miss Hunter," her attorney said.
Hunter is being held without bond.
Her defense attorney declined to comment on the case to ABC11.
Raleigh Police received a call Saturday morning about a dead person on Basset Trail, where Hunter lived.
Officers discovered Upchurch's body. It's not yet clear how he died.
Upchurch, a convicted felon with 30 convictions on his record, was ordered just a few months ago not to have any contact with Hunter.
In 2024, Upchurch was indicted by a Wake County grand jury for striking Hunter and allegedly causing swelling to the left side of her face.
In December, he pleaded guilty to assault on a female.
He was sentenced to 150 days in jail and was also ordered by the court to have no contact with Hunter.
Raleigh Police said Hunter and Upchurch were in an "on-again, off-again" relationship for nearly 30 years.
ABC11 is tracking crime and safety across Raleigh and in your neighborhood