Man's sandwich burns apartment

August 2, 2009 1:39:21 PM PDT
A malfunctioning microwave oven caught a Durham apartment complex on fire Sunday afternoon. Durham Fire officials said the blaze started just before noon inside an eighth floor apartment at Henderson Towers on S. Duke Street.

It was put out quickly and no one was hurt.

Officials said a man living in the apartment was microwaving a sandwich, when something went wrong with the microwave, causing it to catch fire. A stand underneath it also caught fire.

The resident had to be relocated by Durham Housing Authority due to the odor and some minor fire damage.


Load Comments