They initiated a rescue at 7:43 a.m., and located the girl at 7:45 a.m.
Asiedya Elizabeth Clement, 7, was transported to the hospital, but later died.
The fire was put under control at 8:38 a.m., and was extinguished at 9:36 a.m.
Five units were damaged, and 11 people were displaced.
The building was said to have smoke alarms, but no sprinklers.
The parents of the child were also transported to UNC Hospital to be with their daughter.
Crews at the scene say the fire was sparked by a freezer that malfunctioned on the back porch.
The Red Cross is helping residents who were displaced by the fire.