He resigned earlier this month after several incidents.
School leaders say they are moving forward in the new year. Not only does it include finding a new superintendent, but also keeping Durham Schools thriving.
Becoats' sudden departure came after controversy over his use of a school activity bus and a district credit card along with millions in school funds that initially went under-reported.
Now the search is on for his replacement, but school board leaders say they are also focused on much more.
"I feel like we are looking forward to a new year," said school board member Leigh Bordley. "Our board is looking forward to working together to find a new person, and I think our staff is ready. I think we're ready for a great 2014."
Becoats said he will remain in Durham and possibly work in the private sector. His contract was set to end in June 2016.
After announcement his resignation, Becoats gave a gracious goodbye to the school board.
"Durham Public Schools, I say thank you for the opportunity to serve -- one vision, one Durham. Good night."
The board named Hugh Osteen as acting superintendent. He is currently the assistant superintendent of operational services.
The school board chair told ABC11 Tuesday that there will be a special meeting in the first few weeks of the new year to come up with a strategy for their superintendent search.